Voting is now open for the new Board Liaison Officer position!
Please visit the Board of Directors page for information on our current Board members. Laurie Marshall-Lauria is running unopposed for the position of Board Liaison Officer. Below is a description of the open position and her bio. Please take a moment to vote.
Position: Board Liaison Officer
- Attends all board meetings
- Consults with president on all official contact with the media – may serve as the official spokesperson with the media as authorized by the president or if the president is unavailable
- Publicizes NYSAWLA scholarships and awards. Convenes a committee of NYSAWLA members in good standing to select the scholarship and award winners
- Promotes the goals of NYSAWLA via email and social media
- Responds to general inquiries about the organization
- Carries out any additional duties as determined by the executive board.
Laurie Marshall-Lauria, Manhasset Public Schools
I currently serve as the District Coordinator for World Languages, English as a New Language, and Student Activities for the Manhasset Public Schools. I graduated from St. Lawrence University with a B.A. in Spanish, earned an M.A. in Peninsular Spanish Literature from New York University and a M.S. from the College of New Rochelle in School Administration and Supervision. I have spent over twenty five years teaching Spanish and supervising teachers in Westchester, Rockland and Nassau Counties. Over these years, I have presented on a variety of topics at professional conferences and workshops. I currently serve as a member of the World Language Standards Review Committee for Long Island. I was a member of the FLACS Executive Board as the First Vice President in 2014-2015 (and again in 2016-2017) in charge of the exams. I am a member of FLACS/NYSAWLA, AATSP, ACTFL and ASCD.
Since the creation of FLACS, I have been thoroughly impressed year after year not only by the organization’s work on the exams, but also with the organization’s commitment to providing relevant and meaningful professional development opportunities for language professionals.