Voting has now begun for two positions, listed below, as well as an amendment to our Constitution. Please read carefully and cast your vote. Voting will end on Monday, June 24, 2019.
Position: Second Vice President
- Attends all board meetings
- Prepares calendar for the following year
- Serves as chairperson of the spring conference:
- Coordinates vendors, food, and workshops
- Coordinates workshop/conference presenters
- Prepares conference program
- Coordinates registration with the secretary-treasurer
Ms. Jenn Nesfield, District Chairperson for World Languages and ENL, Northport-East Northport School District
Bio: Prior to coming to Northport in July 2008, she served as a teacher of French and a LOTE Chairperson in the Bellmore-Merrick CHSD. As an active member of NYSAWLA, she has presented workshops at their Spring Conferences, served on the steering committee for the development of the FLACS Regional Exams, and served as the FLACS 1st Vice-President. Jenn previously worked on the LILT Executive Board as Secretary (2002-2004) and Regional Chairperson (1999-2001) and on the AATF – Nassau Executive Board as the Poetry Contest coordinator (2002-2008). In addition to her work for FLACS, LILT, and the AATF, she is a member of numerous other professional organizations, including NYSAFLT, ASCD, NECTFL, and ACTFL. Over the past 20 years, Jenn has conducted numerous professional development workshops on topics including creating culturally responsive classrooms, successful teacher mentor programs, reading strategies for World Language classes, cooperative learning, strategies to assist special needs students in world Language classes, teacher portfolios, Common Core and LOTE, and instructional technology.
Position: Board Liaison Officer
- Attends all board meetings
- Consults with president on all official contact with the media – may serve as the official spokesperson with the media as authorized by the president or if the president is unavailable
- Publicizes NYSAWLA scholarships and awards. Convenes a committee of NYSAWLA members in good standing to select the scholarship and award winners
- Promotes the goals of NYSAWLA via email and social media
- Responds to general inquiries about the organization
- Carries out any additional duties as determined by the executive board.
Ms. Shelita Watkis, Coordinator of World Languages and ENL, Lindenhurst School District
Bio: I began my journey in education in 1998. I have had the joy of working with children in K-12 settings and adults in an evening adult education program. My roles have included 1st grade teacher, Spanish teacher and ESL teacher. My journey has taken me to the Lindenhurst UFSD to my position of Coordinator of World Languages and ENL. I earned a BA in Spanish and English, an MA in TESOL, and an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership. I am currently a doctoral student in the Literacy Studies department at Hofstra University. My passion is supporting teachers, students and families in the complex process of becoming biliterate.
Proposed Amendment to the NYSAWLA Constitution:
The Executive Board voted to bring to the membership an amendment to increase the number of board members to five to include an additional Board Liaison Officer; The NYSAWLA constitution currently includes the office of President, 1st Vice-President, 2ndVice-President, and one Board Liaison Officer. The additional Board Liaison Officer will split the duties of the Board Liaison Officer. The additional board members will have all rights and responsibilities of current officers as granted in the constitution. A call for candidates will be made if the proposal is approved by members.