These past few years have brought on many changes to our programs as well as our departments. As a result, we felt this was an opportune time to recognize leadership exhibited by the teachers in our departments. This is the second year we will be offering an award to recognize a teacher who has assumed leadership responsibility in some manner during the school year for the department, school and/or district.
The NYSAWLA Teacher Leadership Award Criteria an Award of $500.00
The following are examples of criteria that may assist you in selecting a suitable candidate from your department:
- Teacher volunteers to take on extra responsibilities in the department
- Teacher takes on a mentoring role, with or without the existence of a formal mentoring program
- Teacher presents at a professional organization’s event or serves as a turn-key trainer for the department
- Teacher serves as a cooperating teacher for a student teacher
- Teacher initiates new innovative programs, organizes trips, and /or student exchanges