In lieu of state-published exams, NYSED has made provisions for the development of local exams (Read the NYSED LOTE Q&A document: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/lote/documents/lote-qa.pdf). Such exams can be used in the same manner as those previously provided by NYSED. Specifically, a locally developed Checkpoint A Exam, in addition to the successful completion of two units of study, must be passed in order to grant (1) one unit of high school credit to 8th graders. A locally developed Checkpoint B Exam, in addition to earning three units of credit, must be passed to grant students a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation.
To meet the needs of these graduation requirements, NYSAWLA annually develops and administers regional Checkpoint A and Checkpoint B exams in the following languages: Chinese, French, German, Italian & Spanish. The FLACS exams are currently given in over 250 schools statewide.
As you consider joining the Exam Consortium this year, please note the following:
- For security reasons we require that districts choosing to participate adhere to a common date and time for administering the exams. We use the NYSED suggested date for locally developed assessments on their June 2019 Examination Schedule to administer our exams. The date for this year’s FLACS exams is Monday, June 24. Checkpoint A has an AM administration (2 hours); Checkpoint B has a PM administration (3 hours). If your district cannot adhere to the June 24th administration date, you may not participate in the consortium this year.
- For descriptions of exams, please click here.
- Participating districts are encouraged to support development of test items by allowing teachers to attend item writing workshops and/or submit items developed at the district level.
- Items will be field-tested.
- Passwords to access the exams will be made available to the Superintendent’s designee before the exam date in order to allow time to reproduce and secure the exams until their administration.
- We request that participating districts submit exam results to the FLACS Exam Database. Links to the database will be provided subsequent to the exam administration.
- As with NYSED exams, no make-ups or alternate administration will be permitted.
- To obtain Latin, Greek, or Hebrew exams, please contact:
Latin – Brian Serwicki at email@example.com
Greek – Maria Makedon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hebrew – Shelley Hill at email@example.com
Once a member of your organization joins NYSAWLA and membership has been paid, your district is automatically enrolled in our Exam Consortium and will receive access to our exams.
We look forward to working with you.
Francesco L. Fratto
To view the PDF of the letter, please click here.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org